Imagine your future. Do you see yourself…
• teaching young children to read and write in an elementary classroom?
• protecting the public as a law enforcement agent?
• investigating crimes and crime scenes?
• arguing a case before a jury or becoming a judge?
• breaking the next big story on the five o’ clock news?
• interviewing politicians, celebrities, and eyewitnesses?
• running your own company, promoting musicians and artists?
• helping clients as a practicing counselor or psychologist?
• rehabilitating criminal offenders?
• running for public office?
• teaching high school or becoming a college professor?
• managing a key politician’s national campaign?
Whether you see yourself debating on the Senate floor and writing laws, managing national campaigns for musicians, politicians or products, teaching in an energetic and diverse classroom, protecting the public from dangerous criminals, traveling the world reporting on the latest news, or any of a variety of thrilling careers, the Humanities Academy is the starting point for your unique, exciting and dynamic journey.
You will change minds and impact the world with your passions, thoughts, speech and writing. You will create, debate, inspire, think, counsel and lead. People will turn to you for your knowledge, perspective, experience and abilities as you blaze your own trail through the 21st century. You will change the world… and it all begins here, with the Humanities Academy.
Discover who you are, how people think, how they communicate and interact and what it means to be alive in the world today by studying the most engaging material in philosophy, ethics, sociology, psychology, law, communications, education, history and literature. Learn from the greatest thinkers, and add your voice to their discussion. Prepare for college and careers by wrestling with real-life problems and contributing to practical solutions, affecting your school, town and world. Discover how to maximize your potential and be the best thinker, reader and communicator you can possibly be. With the Humanities Academy, there are no limits!
Focusing on literature, language, social studies and the related fields, the Humanities Academy will build upon the work of the Core Academies by fostering practical problem-solving, self-discovery and individuality. By extending learning into the community, all students will graduate with the knowledge, values and skills to become successful in a wide variety of careers as well as becoming active and responsible members of society.
Career exploration available in this academy:
• Education • Journalism/Communication • Politics/Public Service
• Criminal Justice/Law • Psychology/Counseling • Liberal Arts
Humanities Academy Requirements*
• Social Studies: 2.5 credits beyond the 3 credit WHS graduation requirement
• E.L.A. 1.5 credits beyond the 3 credit WHS graduation requirement
• Humanities Capstone 1.0 credits
Total Credits upon completion of the Academy 5.0 credits
*As Humanities Academy members, students are strongly encouraged to utilize their Unified Arts electives to experience the broadest range of experiences as possible in both Music and Art.
To view the WHS Program of Studies - Click Here